‘Diversity is our strength’: OPSEU endorses Charter of Inclusive Workplaces and Communities
At OPSEU, we know that diversity is our strength; in our union, our communities and in every single workplace. We know that diversity enriches our society and that meaningful inclusion depends on the eradication of discrimination in all its forms.
It’s why I’m proud to announce that OPSEU has endorsed the Charter of Inclusive Workplaces and Communities, which affirms our commitment to stand up for the rights and dignity of everyone.
In a world where racism, far-right ideology and white nationalism are on the rise – where Jews, Muslims, immigrants and other equity-seeking groups are threatened with discrimination and increasing violence – we must take a stand against division and fear, and embrace unity and hope.
We must encourage all OPSEU members, locals, area councils, equity committees and caucuses to continue to organize against racism, xenophobia, bigotry and discrimination of all kinds.
By sharing this Charter with members and allies and posting it in our workplaces we will continue to nurture inclusive workplaces and strengthen our shared commitment to equality, respect, justice and dignity for all.
In Solidarity Always,
Warren (Smokey) Thomas
Charter of Inclusive Workplaces and Communities
Discrimination in all its forms, including racism and Islamophobia, anti-Black racism, anti-Indigenous racism, anti-Semitism, and all other forms of racism, xenophobia and bigotry threatens our country’s rich social fabric, including the workplaces of OPSEU members and other workers, and the communities in which we live. Dividing people because of race, religion, ancestry or any other difference that undermines human rights serves only to weaken our unions and our society.
By endorsing this Charter, we commit to standing up for the rights and dignity of everyone in order to promote inclusive, just and respectful workplaces and communities;
That is why we affirm that:
- Islamophobia, anti-Black racism, anti-Indigenous racism, anti-Semitism, and all other forms of racism, xenophobia, and bigotry have no place in our workplaces or communities.
- Discrimination and acts of hate against OPSEU members and others in our communities marginalizes individuals and groups and excludes them from participating fully in our unions, workplaces and communities.
- The dignity of every member is essential to a healthy and vibrant union and workplace.
- As a union, we will work with the labour movement, all levels of government, Indigenous peoples, civil society, and communities to develop policies, programs and initiatives to reduce and eliminate racism, hate and bigotry in all its forms.
- By working together, we can nurture inclusive workplaces and strengthen our shared commitment to OPSEU’s values of equality, respect, justice, and dignity for all.
To download a PDF version of the Charter that can be printed and posted in your workplace, please click here.
To view Resolution EB1 – the resolution that was carried at OPSEU Convention 2018 to endorse the Charter of Inclusive Workplaces and Communities – click here.